Relax. This won’t last long.
Or if it does, or if the lines
make you sleepy or bored,
give in to sleep, turn on
the T.V., deal the cards.
This poem is built to withstand
such things. Its feelings
cannot be hurt. They exist
somewhere in the poet,
and I am far away.
Pick it up anytime. Start it
in the middle if you wish.
It is as approachable as melodrama,
and can offer you violence
if it is violence you like. Look,
there’s a man on a sidewalk;
the way his leg is quivering
he’ll never be the same again.
This is your poem
and I know you’re busy at the office
or the kids are into your last nerve.
Maybe it’s sex you’ve always wanted.
Well, they lie together
like the party’s unbuttoned coats,
slumped on the bed
waiting for drunken arms to move them.
I don’t think you want me to go on;
everyone has his expectations, but this
is a poem for the entire family.
Right now, Budweiser
is dripping from a waterfall,
deodorants are hissing into armpits
of people you resemble,
and the two lovers are dressing now,
I don’t know what music this poem
can come up with, but clearly
it’s needed. For it’s apparent
they will never see each other again
and we need music for this
because there was never music when he or she
left you standing on the corner.
You see, I want this poem to be nicer
than life. I want you to look at it
when anxiety zigzags your stomach
and the last tranquilizer is gone
and you need someone to tell you
I’ll be here when you want me
like the sound inside a shell.
The poem is saying that to you now.
But don’t give anything for this poem.
It doesn’t expect much. It will never say more
than listening can explain.
Just keep it in your attache case
or in your house. And if you’re not asleep
by now, or bored beyond sense,
the poem wants you to laugh. Laugh at
yourself, laugh at this poem, at all poetry.
Good. Now here’s what poetry can do.
Imagine yourself a caterpillar.
There’s an awful shrug and, suddenly,
You’re beautiful for as long as you live.
Thank you, Biblioklept
- inmypjs likes this
- backesexual reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- myideasofbeauty reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- ennazusy reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- wakingkate likes this
- runningwithcoyotes reblogged this from waveofwords
- mythologyofblue likes this
- lebateaudegateau likes this
- derangedbutterfly likes this
- musiclifemagic likes this
- booksvscigarettes likes this
- yournonchalance likes this
- habitandlanguage likes this
- sharlala likes this
- nakedbearhugs reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- ghost0301 likes this
- ohjuniper likes this
- megustahuevos likes this
- kschweichhart likes this
- sergionavarrete likes this
- recycledsoul likes this
- erleichda reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- belleine likes this
- taylorology likes this
- toynbeeconvector likes this
- waveofwords reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- ashcatchemm likes this
- bloodflux reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- ancientcomputer likes this
- yahairalfaro likes this
- coyopa likes this
- flatteryoconnor likes this
- rumblntumbl likes this
- loveinmylocket likes this
- whyiamtellingyouaboutit likes this
- crashinglybeautiful posted this