“The great secretary-general of the United Nations Dag Hammarskjold once allowed a journalist to visit his apartment in Manhattan. The decor was very spare, in the best Scandinavean taste. The journalist recorded a comment by Hammarskjöld that has a long echo: “Monastic, isn’t it?” Lipsey explores the force of desire in a highly dedicated life, shedding light on what it takes to live two lives at once—to be a contemplative and an engaged man of peace.”
— From the Introduction to Roger Lipsey’s article, “Desiring peace: A meditation on Dag Hammarskjöld” in the Fall 2010 Issue of PARABOLA.
Read it entirely online at PARABOLA’s website.
Image of Dag Hammarskjold courtesy of Wikipedia.
- jjarichardson reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- arsvitaest likes this
- yama-bato likes this
- devushka-t likes this
- crowtendr likes this
- 108zenbooks reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- euripidesredux reblogged this from crashinglybeautiful
- booksvscigarettes likes this
- whatshewanted likes this
- thewickedjabroni likes this
- ecea likes this
- darksilenceinsuburbia likes this
- crashinglybeautiful reblogged this from parabola-magazine and added:
- parabola-magazine posted this